Sunday, May 14, 2006

Transfer Day


It’s done. Two are in. And that’s all that matters.

It all went pretty smoothly. I had acupuncture done before I left for the hospital and as soon as I got back. I think I walked into the OR at 3:10pm, saw the picture of the blastocysts on a big video screen, and was being wheeled to recovery at 3:22. For me, the transfer procedure itself wasn’t very different from the plethora of IUIs I had.

What was surprising to me is that no one discussed anything with me first. I got up on the table, the doc said we’re putting in 2, the embryologist brought them over when the doc was ready – told me they were “beautiful” (what parent doesn’t think its kids are beautiful?) and that was that. I got the souvenir photo to take home. I wish I understood better what I was looking at in the picture. There seems to be a thin white veil covering parts of each embryo – what is that exactly?

D did not accompany me to the transfer. Sure, he had to do some work from home, but there’s no doubt he could’ve come if he wanted. He just didn’t want to. I actually think that dealing with him this week has been the hardest part – well, once I got the fertilization results. And that’s saying a lot. I think I’ll write more about D later, because for now I still want to concentrate on the good that’s happening.

Right now I don’t know if any of the remaining embryos made it to freeze. Next to the picture of the blastocysts they gave me, there’s a chart of transfer information which states the following:

Oocytes harvested: 19

Mature oocytes: 18

Normally fertilized: 17
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Transferred: 2

Cell Stages: Blastocysts

Cryopreserved: 0

Will be watched: 15

Unsuitble for transfer, freezing or observation: 0

And that’s all the information I have right now. It appears that all 17 fertilized eggs made it to yesterday? Is that even possible? They said they’d call today with how many, if any, would be frozen, but I’ve yet to hear. But this information makes it awfully hard for me not to be excited and optimistic. This should just work, don't you think?

updated: I just got word that they were able to freeze 4 blastocysts. That's comforting too.

27 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

If all 17 made it to blast, you have great harty DNA! Hope to hear good news from you in 10 days about a positive beta! :)

May 14, 2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Good luck, Mellie! I'm hoping so hard for you!

May 14, 2006 3:51 PM  
Blogger lucky #2 said...

May this 2ww go quickly for you!

May 14, 2006 4:11 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Mellie! I am so happy to hear that the transfer went well. Also, how fantastic if all 15 makes it to blast..as mel said you have some awesome DNA! I am crossing my fingers for you and hoping that you will get good news in the next few days! Now rest up! Hugs!

May 14, 2006 4:19 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

Great news mellie, the transfers and the frosties.

May 14, 2006 5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you, Mellie.

May 14, 2006 7:28 PM  
Blogger beagle said...

Good Luck! That is really great 4 blasts to freeze. Great sign!

Now to endure the 2ww . . .

So glad the transfer went smoothly.

May 14, 2006 8:21 PM  
Blogger Mony said...

Me Thinks!!
Oh Mellie....how will we survive the next 2 weeks?? Eeeek!

May 14, 2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I hope you will be able to show your child(ren) that picture one day. We're all here in the magic box to help you through the next two weeks.

May 14, 2006 11:34 PM  
Blogger Dramalish said...

Lovely Mellie...
Wishing your beautiful blasties a nice long stay in your uterus.

And a quick 2ww.
-D.

May 14, 2006 11:40 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

Great News! Two beautiful embryo's transferred and four blasts frozen sounds like a very successful cycle to me.

May 15, 2006 2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear transfer went well. And that's great news that you had 4 blasts to freeze!
I hope things are okay with D.

May 15, 2006 9:02 AM  
Blogger Larisa said...

That's great news, Mellie. The blasts look beautiful, and congrats on having 4 to freeze.

Hoping things clear up with D.

May 15, 2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger Kellie said...

Congrats on the transfer of two beautiful blasts and wow! Four to freeze is pretty darned good :)

May 15, 2006 9:46 AM  
Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

2 in the oven and 4 in the freezer sounds like pretty good numbers to me. Your blasts look beautiful, by the way.

Best of luck!

May 15, 2006 10:29 AM  
Blogger Chee Chee said...

I am so glad that things went well and that you have 4 blatocysts frozen too! Good luck.

May 15, 2006 11:29 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Excellent! Sending you good wishes! I hope you have a smooth 2ww. I can't imagine how hard that must be. Maybe try yoga?

May 15, 2006 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mighty fine looking embryos you have there Mellie. Congratulations on having 4 frozen as well as the 2 transferred. hope your 2ww is an easy one with a great outcome

May 15, 2006 1:29 PM  
Blogger charlie's mom said...

Good news on all fronts. Hang in there!

May 15, 2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger Jamila said...

what gorgeous little blasts!! Wonderful news all around.

May 15, 2006 5:14 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

What adorable kids and what wonderful news. Fingers crossed for you!

May 15, 2006 6:08 PM  
Blogger avonlea said...

I can't tell - do they look more like you or Mr. Mellie? Great update!

May 15, 2006 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mellie:

Those blastocysts look beautiful. I'm not an expert, but I believe that the clear material is the remains of the "shell" that is cut during artificial hatching -- since your embryos have developmed that far on their own it hatched through expanding cell development.

In any case, good luck and congrats on the 4 in the freezer as well.

MichelleL

May 15, 2006 7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sticky vibes!

May 15, 2006 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... They are stunning. Really.

I hope D comes around soon. And I hope the time flies for you.

May 15, 2006 8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sending you much love and sticky vibes! you're in my thoughts and prayers!

May 15, 2006 11:06 PM  
Blogger x said...

Great news. The fact that 6 made it to blast is fabulous! I hope your husband is being supportive. Sometimes they can be such shits during IF.
I'll be thinking of you. Wishing for the best!

May 16, 2006 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home