Friday, November 10, 2006

Been Meaning to Write This Post Forever....

When I went home for Rosh Hashana back in September, I couldn’t help but think of how finally, this year, I was pregnant for the high holidays. For the past three years I sat in shul, always hoping that the next year I’d be holding an infant, or at least have the pregnant belly. Instead, I would flip through the prayer books, looking for Biblical names that I liked – or I’d read the stories of the Jewish matriarchs and ancestors. Last September (2005), I remember feeling quite strongly that every story in the Jewish liturgy is about infertility – Sarah, Rebecca, Rachel and Hannah all suffer.

Knowing that this affliction has been around since the beginning of Judaism did not make me feel better. What was particularly troubling, was knowing that I had done the same thing year after year. Thalia & Mony wrote about this also – how these yearly rituals which inherently mark the passage of time, are more difficult for us, the infertiles. And while I am so happy and elated to be where I am right now (28 weeks, 4 days), I still remember the ache and fear the pain associated with years of infertility.

In the Rosh Hashana service there’s a line translated that made me cry last year, and when I read it again this year, all the frustration and sadness came rushing back. Hannah’s husband says to her: Why do you weep? Why do you not eat? Why is your heart sad? Am I not worth more to you than ten sons?

To me, that was exactly what my problem was. My heart was sad. And I could never explain to D why I couldn’t be happy with just him.

I so wish for all of you still suffering trying to conceive, that next year your hearts aren’t sad.

11 Comments:

Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

that was really beautiful. xo

November 10, 2006 7:13 PM  
Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

hey mellie - i don't see an email for you but i have a question for you - would you mind emailing me at utrus@hotmail.com

thx

November 10, 2006 7:22 PM  
Blogger Lut C. said...

Great to hear all is well! Thanks for the well wishes.

Old testament is not something we dwelled on a lot in school, so I'm not really familiar with those stories. So much has changed since then, except the emotional bagage.

November 11, 2006 5:11 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

What a lovely sentiment, what a kind person you are for thinking of others at that moment. If I figure out a way to make my heart not sad without a baby, I'll have to send up a blimp with the answer on it.

November 11, 2006 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so glad to see you post again...i was beginning to worry.

your post today was so beautiful. it shows how much our partners also suffer through infertility.

November 11, 2006 11:44 PM  
Blogger Mony said...

You are the sweetest.

Beautifully written Mellie and from the heart, I know.

November 12, 2006 3:49 AM  
Blogger Ella said...

Beautful post, and I'm glad to hear everything is going well for you. I was one of those people practically crying in shul on Rosh Hash this year. Hopefully next year will be diferent. All the best to you.

November 15, 2006 5:55 PM  
Blogger lucky #2 said...

Beautiful post. It seems when you are battling IF, you can relate to sadness in any story and the bible is certainly full of them!

I just posted a similar feeling regarding my daughter's baptism. Thanks for the lovely post. I am glad to hear all is going well!

November 20, 2006 10:02 AM  
Blogger Melzie said...

I don't know much about your religion- but thank you for sharing the bit you did.

November 21, 2006 7:42 AM  
Blogger lucky #2 said...

How are you doing, quiet pregnant one?

January 05, 2007 10:35 AM  
Blogger Dramalish said...

Hey you.
Please update.
Prettttty please.
-D.

January 14, 2007 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home