Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I Feel Like Crap, But I Guess That’s Good

Here’s how a typical conversation of mine goes these days:

Dad/brother/close friend: How are you feeling?

Me: Pukey (note – this is my clever way of not having to remember whether nauseated or nauseous is the right word (it’s nauseated, right?)

Dad/brother/close friend: Good!

I haven’t been able to master the balance of full stomach vs. empty stomach needed to stave off the nausea. I think I’ve been doing a good job at eating healthfully – but it seems that every hour I need to be noshing on something otherwise I start feeling ill. Fatigue is omnipresent. And the heartburn and gas that come along with no warning are not helping matters. The other day I was in a Barnes & Noble, and literally had to stop in my tracks on the way to the register while I literally bowled over with pain from a bad gas cramp. There was a manager near by who stopped giving instructions mid-sentence as he watched me fearfully. It passed, and I managed to check-out, but then I had to run back up 3 floors to use the bathroom. Blech.

But I’ll happily take it all and suffer through it. I’m just so grateful to be here.

This morning I called my insurance company to pre-certify and enroll in their “Maternity Care Program.” Tomorrow I have my first appointment with the OB. There still are moments where I can’t believe that I should be doing these things. But then the nausea creeps up and it’s not imaginary at all. And that’s good.

19 Comments:

Blogger MoMo said...

Sorry you feel icky--but as you said it's good--this is where we want to be. I hope that you can master the balance of full stomach vs. empty stomach--once you do please share it with me. My sickness is concentrated at night, after dinner. It doesn't matter what I eat, it somehow finds it's way back up!

June 27, 2006 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to work in Barnes & Noble. I don't envy you that trip to the bathroom.

You're doing great, M.

June 27, 2006 4:31 PM  
Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

I'm sorry/happy that you feel like crap. I only hope that this phase goes by quickly for you and with no major "events."

So happy for you!!

June 27, 2006 4:57 PM  
Blogger EJW said...

A little warning: don't be freaked out when your doctor/nurse/whatever is ridiculously optimistic and cavalier about how a pee stick/beta/whatever means a baby in nine months. They had me make appts out to 32 weeks, I felt like it was asking for a jinx.

I hope you get to see or hear the cause of all this nausea, it definitely makes it worth it.

June 27, 2006 5:13 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I have no words of wisdom, just here, cheering you on from the Peanut Gallery.

June 27, 2006 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry you have the icky nausea but like you said it is a good thing...ENJOY!

June 27, 2006 10:03 PM  
Blogger Dramalish said...

Ohhhh, the days of m/s. It's strange, isn't it? It was horrifying and thrilling at the same time.

When you're at the height of nausea, remember the PG lady's mantra: This too shall pass.
It'll get better.

And when you're not nauseous... try to enjoy every minute of your pregnancy. Before you know it, 9 months will have passed in a flash.

June 28, 2006 12:30 AM  
Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

hiya! good luck at your first OB tomorrow - please post how it goes. imagine... going to an OB appointment.... !!! hugs

June 28, 2006 2:36 AM  
Blogger charlie's mom said...

It is good! Fruit helped me with the intestinal loveliness, as did frosted mini wheats and lots of water. Happy morning sickness!

June 28, 2006 8:35 AM  
Blogger Ella said...

I just started reading your blog. Although I'm a Yankee fan, I'm rooting for ya! I'm glad to hear you're doing well, depsite the nausea. That too shall pass. Wishing you an uneventful 32 weeks to go!

June 28, 2006 11:38 AM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Feeling crappy is, well, crappy! But there's a good reason for it... so its all ok! I wasn't sick, but I was very nauseous as well. I tried preggie drops/pops and they were awesome. Give them a try!!

June 28, 2006 8:18 PM  
Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

I haven't checked in for a while! Congrats.

June 29, 2006 4:02 PM  
Blogger Chee Chee said...

I'm so sorry that your feeling ill. Hopefully, the next trimester of your pregnancy will be a breeze.

June 29, 2006 4:35 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hope you feel better soon! Crackers were my friend for the first 13 weeks.

June 29, 2006 6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sucking on sour lemon candy helps!
Hang in ther, it's worth it
Elnette

July 04, 2006 6:49 PM  
Blogger Mony said...

Hey Pukey.
Thinking 'bout you.

July 04, 2006 9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where are you? I am missing your updates as I need a distraction since watching the boys drop 3 in a row to the freaking devil rays. I hope you are doing well. We are thinking about you.

July 07, 2006 2:15 PM  
Blogger Mony said...

For the love of G-d Woman would you update!!!

Just let us know how you are.
PLEASE!

July 08, 2006 2:52 PM  
Blogger MoMo said...

Hi Mellie--just checking up on you and want to see how you are doing. I hope that the nausea subsided and you are starting to feel better.

July 11, 2006 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home