Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Wanted: Advice and Opinions

Hawaii. I’m headed to Hawaii! On Saturday D & I will meet my immediate family in San Francisco for my brother’s graduation from law school, then on Monday we all head to Kauai for 7 days, 6 nights of fun in the sun and family time.

Every year my parents take us on a family vacation. We all tend to get along well – though there is inevitably at least 1 major blow up between some pair along the way. But I love it; I love that my family remains this close and chooses to spend such time together (and of course, with the folks paying for it who’s going to complain?).

So what I’ve been trying to determine is do I test in Hawaii or not? Our last day there I’ll be 12 days past IUI. If I test that morning I either get to celebrate or commiserate with D and my family for at least part of the day. Using last month as a barometer, I wouldn’t get my period until I stopped the progesterone, so if I don’t use a hpt I have to wait for the call on 5/31 from the doc’s office. I don’t want to just wait for the call because I share an office with my assistant and I can’t bare the thought of learning the news – whichever way it may go – with another person in the room. Therefore, even if I don’t test in Hawaii, I would test the morning of the 31st before the blood draw so I could deal with my emotions before work.

D has a business trip scheduled for the immediate 2 weeks following vacation, so he won’t be home with me. The only way I will be able to tell him personally the result of this cycle is if I test in Hawaii, potentially ruining my last day there. On the other hand if it were good news I’d be able to tell my family in person (along with D) and wouldn’t that be lovely?

So this is the question I can’t answer yet. Along with my worries about what to do next cycle if this one is a bust. With D gone from 5/30 – 6/11 it’s not easy to plan.

Any advice?

5 Comments:

Blogger Dramalish said...

Hi Mellie.
My advice?
Wait the entire two weeks. FRED plays evil jokes on people, and I've determined them to be wholy unreliable.
If you must, test before the blood draw, but take the results with a grain of salt.
In my 3 months tenure of treatments (yeehaw, it feels like 3 years), I've just found that it was more pleasant to have another day (or days) of hope than to be crushed early.
And if you ARE PG, you still will be when the 2ww is actually up, and there will be plenty of time for everyone to celebrate with you.

Good luck with your decision.

-D.

May 18, 2005 8:07 PM  
Blogger Suz said...

Two pieces of assvice:

1) Don't test. Take a real break. Enjoy Kauai completely.

2) Hike the Awawphui trail. Horribly mispelled but it's pronounced "Ah-wa-ah-wa-phui." Forget the one on the North end of the Island (by Princeville) that ends in the beach (harder than they say in the guidebooks and not really that big a payoff). Awawphui is something that you will look back on for the rest of your life.

May 18, 2005 9:39 PM  
Anonymous P. said...

Oh - hard decision! I think I agree with D. Wait until you get home and if you must, test before you leave for your blood draw.

May 19, 2005 9:42 AM  
Blogger K said...

Save the test for after the vacation. Even if it is the last day, you don't want that to be a memory of your trip to hawaii.

Do your parents want to adopt any more kids? I've always wanted to go to Hawaii

May 19, 2005 1:06 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

I'd test after vacation. Seriously.

Have fun!

May 19, 2005 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home