Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Other Medical Professionals

I had my regular bi-annual dental cleaning appt. this morning (actually I was supposed to have it last week, but changed it when I thought I might have to go to the RE on the morning of CD 14). I’ve never really minded going to the dentist, but lately what’s bothered me about going is that every visit is a reminder that another 6 months have gone by and I’m still not pregnant.

But I go, and am forced into admitting to the staff of the office that, while, I’m not currently pregnant, technically I could be, so please let’s skip the x-rays. And everyone was quite pleasant about it, offering typical assvice gems such as “don’t worry, it’ll happen when you least expect it” and “you should go on vacation – that worked for my sister.” And I smile and nod in agreement, because for some reason, assvice from strangers doesn’t bother me so much. It’s almost like the equivalent of talking about the weather. I do feel badly that when D goes in for his treatments (and he’s been undergoing some major surgery lately requiring frequent visits – yeah for gum grafting!), the office staff will be aware of this part of his sex life.

It was kind of interesting how the fact that I’m trying to get pregnant played so much a part of today’s appointment. Besides not having x-rays and serving as the conversation topic between me and the office assistant, it served as an even stronger reason for the dental hygienist to implore that I floss more. (As a side note, when I first started ttc, I made flossing a daily part of my regimen. Along with no alcohol and cutting down on caffeine, it was part of my “get body ready for pregnancy” plan. But as the cycles kept coming, the flossing disappeared and the alcohol flowed copiously.) And the dentist then came in to say that when I find out either way I should call because if it’s good news I can schedule another dental appt. since you should have 3 visits while pregnant, and if it’s the other than I could stop by and have the x-rays taken.

I just wanted to get my teeth cleaned – I didn’t need to find other things and people whose course of action depends on a pregnancy test. Grrrrr.

And, to make things even more exciting, I’m pretty sure I’ve developed a yeast infection. Of course, the progesterone suppositories make it hard to diagnose, but the level of discomfort I’m experiencing is clearly indicative. I wouldn’t have thought it was possible what with all the activity and monitoring that goes on down there, but I guess those wacky hormones keep finding new ways to play with me!

I called my regular gynecologist and haven’t yet received a call back. What’s one more suppository when it’s for such a good cause?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the dentist for the same damn reason. The first time we skipped the x-rays. I've gotten them ever since. But they always, always ask that dreaded question, "Are you or could you be pregnant?"

June 22, 2005 8:37 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Ditto here...last time I went to the dentist I almost passed out when he gave me the novacaine, some really weird reaction that's never happened before. Of course, the first question he asked me was (oh you know).

June 22, 2005 11:30 PM  
Blogger Jamila said...

But as the cycles kept coming, the flossing disappeared and the alcohol flowed copiously.

I could write the exact same sentence! I recently had a minor breakdown going to get a massage - a massage! - because the questionnaire asked if I was pregnant or trying to be pregnant. I deliberated over it a full 10 minutes, then checked "no" since I wasn't in the 2 ww. But, way to remind me why I was stressed and needed the massage, stupid questionnaire.

June 23, 2005 12:32 AM  
Blogger Chee Chee said...

I was the same way. I did all of the "getting ready for pregnancy" stuff -- I modified my workout regiment, reduced my alcohol intact, ate more salads, etc. And now, two years, later no baby. So I figure, what was the point of all of that? Women get pregnant everyday without making any effort or taking any precautions.

BTW -- if you don't get a call back soon from Gyn about the yeast infection, you may want to try talking with RE or one of her nurses. I think those progesterone suppositories increase your chances of getting yeast infections.

June 23, 2005 10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our dentist is a personal friend, but not a super-close personal friend. I always feel stuck between a rock and a hard place when he starts asking me those questions. I have started putting off my appointments just to avoid him, isn't that sad!

Ditto on the less flossing and more alcohol thing. I cleaned up my act in the beginning (first year or two) and now I have just said screw it! If I want a glass of wine... I have a glass of wine!

Cheers Mellie. I hope the next few days go quickly for you :o)

June 23, 2005 10:48 AM  
Blogger Chee Chee said...

Anytime, hon!

June 23, 2005 5:15 PM  
Blogger Dramalish said...

I wrote a blog about my last dentist experience too. Oh the thrill I got from bashfully suggesting I *might* be pregnant. Of course I wasn't, but what a way to make you feel the measure of the situation, huh?

Hey, I just noticed you live in NYC!! I might be coming in Sept. or Oct to see a show or two; We could have an East Coast/West Coast IF sister get-together! :)

-D.

June 24, 2005 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home