Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Paddling Out

Well, I’m sure it’s no surprise to anyone but Kauai is beautiful. We had wonderful weather to enjoy our hiking, kayaking, ziplining and boat riding, there was lots of family time (maybe a bit too much), and we ate and drank well. Of course, the question of whether or not I was pregnant was continually running through my mind.

One of the best parts of our vacation was learning how to surf. As a northeast girl I didn’t really think I’d be into it, but D and I really loved it. Besides the 2-hour lesson we rented boards twice and tried to catch some waves on our own. There really wasn’t much instruction involved in the lessons, besides the basics of how to stand up. Instead, you have to rely on your instincts as to which wave to go after and when to start paddling, when to stand up and for beginners that is the hardest part – standing itself isn’t difficult, but knowing when to try and when to wait is. So one finds oneself repeatedly paddling back out to try again since the wave you chose may not be strong enough to carry you, or it may have been too strong and knocked you over. You paddle hard against the current to get to your starting spot, wait and wait for a wave that looks good to you, commit to one, start paddling and hope that you get enough momentum going for that magic moment when the surf catches you and you’re free to stand and just look straight ahead as the water carries you ashore.

Out of the 5 of us that tried surfing, I seemed to have the easiest time with it. I had the patience to wait for a wave that looked promising, and the patience to wait for the right moment to stand up. Our instructor the first day told us that if we managed to catch one wave on our own and ride it in that was excellent, and I managed to ride quite a few in. Waiting, as any infertile can relate, has become my specialty and at least in the water it served me well.

On land, waiting hasn’t really helped. I didn’t take an hpt until yesterday afternoon, after getting some sleep after the 12-hour plane ride home. “Not Pregnant” the digital readout displayed – leaving no room for doubt. And I just got the call from the doctor’s office confirming it. So I guess it’s time to paddle back out and wait for another wave.

5 Comments:

Blogger Larisa said...

Welcome back. The surfing sounds great...I've never tried. Too much of a klutz, I think.

Really, really sorry about the negative.

May 31, 2005 3:47 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

I'm really sorry about your result. I was so hoping it would be positive.

I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip, though.

susie
notahabit

May 31, 2005 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn, darn, darn! That's all I'm gonna' say about that!

I am glad that you had a nice time on vacation! Surfing sounds like a blast. I am way to chicken to try it!

May 31, 2005 6:28 PM  
Blogger Dramalish said...

Hey girlie,
Sounds like the vacation was FABU!!!

I'm sorry that the HPT told you ugly things, and I'm even sorrier that Beta repeated the slander.

Hang in there. You'll catch that whopper of a wave soon.

-D.

May 31, 2005 8:43 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Hi Mellie, I just found your blog and got caught up. I'm so sorry about this cycle. I've found that when you up the ante and start injectibles the hope gets bigger, and so does the disappointment. Hang in there.

June 01, 2005 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home