Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Counting Chickens Before They're Hatched

So no sooner than 10 minutes after I published my last post, D calls with this astonishing news: he's been asked by his law firm senior partner extraordinaire if he'd be willing to work out of the San Francisco office for a few months. Apparently, there's a senior partner out there doing the same kind of work as D, but sadly his wife is dying and he needs some "high level" assistance. How can you say "no, thanks" to that?

And yes, it's flattering and great for his career, but it means that I'll be living in this 1800sq. ft. apt. by myself, never mind the fact that continuing treatment if needed won't be possible. Obviously, this news is not sitting well with me. I've had a killer headache for hours now, and no tylenol at hand.

Seriously, if I hadn't written that I thought things were coming together at last, would this have happened?

7 Comments:

Blogger Larisa said...

Grrr. Of course he can't say no to that. It's really unbelievable - does he have to go immediately? or at least stay to finish what was looking like a good cycle?

July 27, 2005 6:11 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Oh, man. I'm so sorry. I guess there is no way for you to go out there with him?

Or freeze his contributions and thaw them for IUI day?

Damn, Mellie. Sorry for this setback. Although I realize it's a great opportunity for him, as well.

July 27, 2005 9:33 PM  
Blogger K said...

I second the others' questions.

July 27, 2005 10:45 PM  
Anonymous Jenn said...

I'd vote for a frozen contribution too. And maybe bank some extra for insurance.

July 27, 2005 11:38 PM  
Anonymous thalia said...

Or for him to come back for the deposit times? I'm so sorry you're going to be left on your own, and just when you felt so positive! Keeping my fingers crossed that this one works.

July 28, 2005 3:20 AM  
Blogger Spanglish said...

Wow Mellie -- Things are going so well and so inconveniently for you... I hope you're able to work out something to save this cycle.

July 28, 2005 9:04 AM  
Blogger Mellie said...

To answer your questions with what I know now, although, I suppose we'll get more info once D lets his boss know that his wife has given the okay:
this cycle should be fine. I don't think he'd be asked to leave before we close on the apt. next Friday, and the IUI for this cycle should happen this weekend, or early next week.

As for future cycles, I think if this one doesn't work for us (but how great would it be if this is the one), I think we'll just wait for me to go on his insurance and start planning for IVF next Jan.

July 28, 2005 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home