Thursday, February 09, 2006

All Aboard

A nurse was supposed to call me before 7pm with my evening instructions yesterday, so I stayed at work an extra hour to make sure that I’d be available to answer my phone and ask any questions I might have regarding the news that they gave me. At 6:50pm, I assumed that little ole me had gotten lost in the big clinic paperwork and figured I’d have to call the answering service. The phone number was at home so I figured I might as well start the trek. I walked the 10 minutes to the subway station, holding my cell in my hand just in case they actually did call. As I entered the station the clock said 7:02pm, yet I still kept looking at my phone to see if I was getting service.

Once inside the station I had service for longer than I expected – I made it down the 2 flights of stairs before losing access. I walked along the length of the platform as is my norm, to the last car (since that’s where my exit is nearest) and waited for a train. Since none was forthcoming, I decided to wait atop the nearest flight of stairs just in case my cell phone could get service and just in case the nurse actually called. Sure enough, I got service, but a train rolled into the station. I ran down to get on – realized it wasn’t in fact my train, and retreated back up to the stairs. And wouldn’t you know, my cell phone rings.

It is indeed my nurse calling with instructions. I’m expecting her to say “you’re still coasting – just the .1 of Lupron” but instead I hear “Do you have a pen?” And I say “No” since I’m standing in my winter coat, hat and scarf in the middle of the Columbus Circle Subway Station and just trying to stay out of the path of the other commuters. She tells me I “need one” so I throw my purse and the phone onto the ground and rummage through my purse looking for a pen and some paper. Fortunately, it wasn’t too long and I was able to hear her say:

“Stop all your current drugs. You’ll take 3,300 units of HCG tonight at 2:05am. Report tomorrow morning between 6:30am & 7:00am for pre-op instructions.”

Apparently my E2 only rose slightly from 28 hundred and something to 29 hundred and something. So retrieval is tomorrow. I'm not coasting any longer - it's time for the final push.

I have to get to the hospital tomorrow at 8am, and D’s scheduled to do his thing at 9:30am. But since I triggered at 2am, doesn’t this mean that my retrieval will probably be closer to noon?

Whatever. They know what they’re doing. I’m happy to have gotten this far. Am hoping that I won’t get a call saying we messed up the HCG shot, which apparently happens not infrequently. But really – everything looks good. When I asked the doctor today doing the ultrasound how many eggs she’d guess I’d end up with tomorrow if she were a betting woman, she came back with 20! Of course, only half of those would probably be mature, but still, that would be something.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOORAY!

Here goes -- good luck tomorrow, dear. Keep us posted.

February 09, 2006 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Crap it's TIME.

You'll be in my thoughts.

February 09, 2006 4:36 PM  
Blogger moi said...

2:05 am is just weird! It sure makes all of this seem more cloak and dagger.

You're doing well - make everyone be super, super nice to you after retrieval - have cookies on hand!

crossing fingers for you!

February 09, 2006 5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! Good luck!

February 09, 2006 6:06 PM  
Blogger P. said...

I will be thinking about you tomorrow!

February 09, 2006 6:42 PM  
Blogger zhl said...

Waiting on that call can be such a pain. Good luck tomorrow!

February 09, 2006 7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Penelope - the 2:05 am does sound very cloak and daggerish!
Good luck tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you!!!

February 09, 2006 8:57 PM  
Blogger Larisa said...

Awesome! Good luck tomorrow, hoping that lots of those eggs are mature.

February 10, 2006 7:00 AM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

It is usually 12 hours before retrieval so you may be just after lunch?

Good luck, Mellie. Glad you finally made it!!!

February 10, 2006 1:50 PM  
Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

2:05am? That kind of sucks time wise, doesn't it. You are doing great though, and I'll be anxious to hear how many the retrieved. Keeping my fingers crossed for all 20. Good luck!

February 10, 2006 3:39 PM  
Blogger Mony said...

Shit Melanie. I can't stop looking at your blog. THINKING 'BOUT YOU!

February 10, 2006 4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it went well! I can't wait to hear the good news.

February 10, 2006 7:59 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Not so patiently waiting for an update...

February 11, 2006 1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home