Monday, February 06, 2006

Cycle Day 11

I remember reading the IVF books where they advise you that it’s a demanding process. I p’shaw’d away the concerns – really how different was it then the injectible IUIs? Sure, some stronger meds and more office visits, but surely these women were making it tougher than it is. Silly stupid me.

I’ve entered week 2 of stims and all I can say is that this is exhausting. I don’t know whether it’s the side effects of the drugs or the emotional toll, but I’m looking forward to making it through retrieval and transfer, just so some of the unknowns will be answered. And so I can stop going in to the office every morning. For some reason, I’m not nervous about the PIO shots or the retrieval procedure; I’m just looking forward to getting there.

Of course, the good news is that I’m pretty confident I will make it to retrieval. I have no idea what it’ll bring, but that’s the next step. Yesterday’s E2 was 1160, today’s will surely have risen higher (update: today's e2 went to that rockin' year of 1979). This morning’s ultrasound made my RE “quite happy.” It showed a handful of follicles around 12 - 14mm, my lining at 8mm plus some smaller follicles. He thinks retrieval will be either Thursday or Friday. I’m trying my best not to expect any specific number.

Meanwhile, I seem to be limping from last night’s shot. I can't explain why it was especially painful. It doesn't make sense why some nights are worse than others. Currently, I host 2 symmetrical bruises - one on each thigh – but they’ve been there since the start and haven’t grown or spread. Just kind of changed color like my grandmother’s old mood ring: Purple = Excited, Blue = Anxious, Yellow = Bitchy and Hormonal. Each night as I look to see what kind of colors will appear on the thigh, I’m reminded of one of my all-time favorite blog posts by the eloquent and witty Bugs. Suffer we must, I suppose.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, Mellie. I'm cheering for you.

GO FOLLIES GO!!

February 06, 2006 6:08 PM  
Blogger Larisa said...

Looking forward to hearing only good things about your retrieval later this week.

I can only hope that the exhaustion subsides a little.

And I second what Spanglish said about your follies!

February 06, 2006 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mood ring bit made me chuckle!
Only a few more days to go until you're done with all these office visits and probing! You can do it!

February 06, 2006 8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats some good looking results, let's hope that hcg shot comes soon.

February 07, 2006 7:14 AM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

You might be hitting some nerves (literally) when you are doing the shots. Stay cool. You can get through this. You are chugging along nicely.

February 07, 2006 2:38 PM  
Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

Love that rockin' 1979 E2 level. You're right, it is exhausting, but you are in the home stretch now.

PS try icing the injection site after you inject. It's helped me somewhat with the bruising. Good luck!!

February 07, 2006 3:23 PM  
Blogger charlie's mom said...

I was completely exhausted while stimming. I saw another post recently where the writer felt that the 2ww was the easiest part of the whole cycle. I can see why. (Not that THAT's easy either)

February 07, 2006 3:54 PM  
Blogger Lut C. said...

If we really knew beforehand what it was like, how many of us would go through with it? Being prepared is fine, but too much knowledge can be a bad thing too.

Resolving some of the unknowns is also why I find IVF so alluring, even though I know it's tough.

I'm glad to read your cycle is moving along nicely. Good luck.

February 07, 2006 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home