Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Coasting

No stims tonight. It’s Day 12 of my cycle and my E2 has skyrocketed to 2800, so there will be no further injection of FSH. My handful of follicles today measured between 14 – 15mm, and my lining was a pleasant 9mm. It looks like I’ll be triggering tomorrow night for my retrieval on Friday.

I guess that means we should have sex tonight, in order to insure that D’s sample on Friday is optimal. How sad to still have to schedule sex and sad to not be particularly excited by the idea. Hopefully this will be the last planned intercourse for awhile.

I don’t know what to expect at retrieval. When they measure the follicles each morning, they’re only measuring the largest 3 or 4 on each side as the others are much smaller, so I’m not sure I should hope for more than 5 or 6 eggs. And since it’s out of my control I’m trying my hardest not to worry about it, and to approach everything from here on out with a “what will be, will be” attitude.

I do know that I expected my ovaries to be much more sore and to be causing much more discomfort than they are.

As I lay in bed last night awaiting sleep to settle in, I found myself talking to all the follicles growing inside me. I explained to them what a great adventure lies in wait for them, and how a lucky 2 will have the opportunity to bunker down in quite the luxury accommodations for the next 9 months or so. Seriously, I was speaking aloud to these microscopic cells. I’m clearly losing my mind.

And then there’s this: last night I told my boss that I may be out Thursday & Friday, but didn’t know for sure. He asked me this afternoon if I knew yet, and I replied that now it looked like Friday and maybe some days next week. He asked if I was okay and I answered, “Yes. We’ll see.” I’m sure I’m giving him the complete wrong impression of what I’m undergoing, all though I know he knows that I’ve been trying to get pregnant for years and haven’t yet. The strange thing is that when I left his office after both conversations, I found myself somewhat choked up. And I’m not sure why.

Regardless, as the nurse told me when she called with my instructions, I’m real close now. I can just coast to the finish. I hope.

12 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

You're almost there! Rest, rest and rest some more, and keep talking to your follicles.

February 07, 2006 5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tomorrow! Night!

Good luck. Hoping for plenty of big, healthy eggs.

February 07, 2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Coasting is good!! Tell your boss that it is a gynae procedure eg: lap if you do not want to disclose anything else. Good luck and no stressing about the retrieval...you will be absolutely fine.

February 07, 2006 6:36 PM  
Blogger P. said...

Hang on... we are here for you. Hoping for a smooth retrival on Friday.

February 07, 2006 7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck. My retrieval wasn't as bad as I anticipated. I had to take extra strength Tylenol every six hours for at least three days though.

February 07, 2006 7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're almost there! And I regularly talk to various body parts so I thought that little bit was touching.
Here's to the last night of scheduled sex!!!

February 07, 2006 8:20 PM  
Blogger Dramalish said...

Babe, things sound good!

Hope, hope, hope! Keep us posted about the ET.

Good, no, GREAT luck and love to you,
-D.

February 07, 2006 11:02 PM  
Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

The waiting is the hardest part, you'll see. Can't wait to hear back from you to see how it all went. Good luck!

February 08, 2006 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The E2 level would suggest that you have at least 6 follicles ready (they estimate 300 per mature follicle I think) but by friday there could be more as your E2 will continue to rise.

Nothing wrong w talking to the follicles. OG got me to envisage mine at floating globes of coloured light. Feel free to appropriate that if it would help.

February 08, 2006 1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mellie:

Wanted to stop by and wish you luck. Your E2 levels sound great. Looking forward to a smooth trigger and retrieval.

MichelleL

February 08, 2006 1:33 PM  
Blogger Larisa said...

Keep talking to those follicles. I'm sure they appreciate it. You sound calm and ok. I will be thinking of you and hoping that everything works out beautifully.

Good luck.

February 08, 2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Mony said...

Hey Mellie.
Thinking of you, watching & waiting. It's surreal....that you're this close now. So close.
Take Care.

February 08, 2006 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home