Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Return Of The Wand Monkey

As I commented on Lori’s blog today, life is about ebb and flow. I feel like the last 4 months when there was no real trying to conceive going on – and probably the last 2 years with just failure after failure - were one big ebb. Ever since I attended the IVF class, the tide turned, and things are a flowin’. I know that the ebb will happen again; I just hope it isn’t in 4 weeks because of a negative beta.

For now, the future looks bright. Today was cd3 and IVF cycle #1 (and hopefully only) began. I arrived at the clinic at 8:15 and shortly thereafter was called up to confirm all my contact and insurance info and pay the $8,900 upfront. Then it was on to meet with an IVF nurse who drew today’s blood, instructed me in the ways of the Follistim pen, and outlined the next steps of the cycle:
1. Reduce Lupron to .1cc
2. D starts taking his antibiotics
3. Start the Follistim and Repronex

I met with the research coordinator and went over all the consent forms. I learned about the current research being done at the center. Then, of course, it was time for my reunion with the wand monkey.

I was shown to my exam room, but given no instructions. Being the wand monkey veteran I am, I certainly didn’t need any, but I wondered about the poor soul who might have gone straight to IVF – would she know what to do? I closed the door to the room, undressed from the waist down, sat myself at the edge of the table and covered myself up with the gown provided. The doctor knocked on the door and I answered – but no one entered. Then I heard the jangling of keys and the door opening. I said “Did I lock you out?” and my lovely doctor joked “Yup – that’s mistake #1. You only get 3 then you’re kicked out of the cycle. It’s a good thing I like you, or I’d have the bouncers in here now.” And then he told me the best news of the day – my u/s looks great: lots of little follicles and I am cyst-free.

So barring some crazy FSH number or some other blood bad news (and there’s no reason to be fearing that), we’re off and running.


9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! I congratulate your cyst-free, follice-full ovaries.

Onward and upward . . .

January 26, 2006 2:46 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Yay! So glad you're off to a good start. I am crossing everything for you.

January 26, 2006 4:33 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

cool blog

January 26, 2006 8:15 PM  
Blogger Mony said...

Go Miss Mellie!
Go! Go! Go!

January 26, 2006 10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad everything's all clear! Best of luck for the cycle.

January 27, 2006 11:04 AM  
Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

Great news! I can think of several times I would have preferred to lock my doctor out too...Sounds like he is cool and has a great sense of humor. Best of luck!

January 27, 2006 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful - how lovely to have such attractive ovaries, and a doctor with a sense of humour!

January 27, 2006 2:27 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 28, 2006 9:51 AM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Yay Mellie! You are off to a great start on this cycle. Good Luck with everything... I'll be keeping a close eye on you and anxiously waiting for updates!!

January 28, 2006 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home