Friday, January 20, 2006

To My Fat Thighs:

I am sorry for how I’ve treated you. In the past I was a little ashamed of you, perhaps a bit embarrassed. I did not understand how it was that you could contain these pounds of fat, when the rest of me was rather lean. Why was it (back when I frequented the gym), that no matter how many lunges I did or minutes ran on the elliptical trainer, your circumference never diminished? In the mirror I would see those craters of cellulite and heavily sigh. For years now I’ve done my best to conceal you in tights and cute skirts. During the summer my bathing suits were not sexy bikini bottoms but athletic board shorts. You were my nemesis; the one body part I’d choose to change if given magic powers. But now I sing a different tune.

I love your ample heft now. The way you so easily receive the daily sub-q shot is inspiring. How I wish I had thought to use you back in my IUI days! I love that I can stab the needle into you, and you easily and painlessly hold the syringe straight while I press the plunger in. You have made it so that I no longer rely on D for the nightly injections. I have no doubt that your cushioning will make even the added follistim and repronex shots next week effortless.

Thank you, thank you. Fat thighs, I rejoice in thee.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, what mony said... I like that.

January 20, 2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger Mony said...

Praise be!
Banish all "Thigh Masters" to dusty copboards & embrace the wonders of fleshy loins.

January 20, 2006 5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, what you're saying is that I might learn to love my fleshy belly afterall??? Interesting...
Note to self - cross treadmill time off the to do list today. Preserving fat cushions just got bumped up.
Good luck with the shots - I'm glad to hear they've been going so well.

January 21, 2006 7:41 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Let's hear it for a good body image! If talking to your thighs in gentle whispers helps, then go for it.

January 21, 2006 3:30 PM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Fat bellies are good for that too!

January 24, 2006 2:49 PM  
Blogger Larisa said...

Love this post! I'm glad your thighs are serving you well and that you have developed a new appreciation for them.

January 24, 2006 5:06 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

I hear you, Mellie...

thank goodness for my big belly (the one that is unrelated to pregnancy). if not for it, I wouldn't have had anywhere to put all this insulin for the last two months. My thighs rebelled on me early on with the gestataional diabetes shots, but my belly just keeps taking and taking them. :-)

Hang in there!

January 25, 2006 2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I used thighs for the IUI but switched to stomach for the IVF and never looked back - I felt that the thigh shots didn't disperse very well. And believe me my thighs are quite majestic!

January 26, 2006 2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home