Monday, January 16, 2006

Martin Lupron King Day

(with thanks to Avonlea for the title)

Well, not only is it Day 1 of Lupron (Day 20 of my cycle), this is also my 50th post. A momentous occasion indeed. I've gotten e-mails from friends saying they're thinking of me, and I spoke with my parents who both also expressed their excitement and happiness that the day has arrived. I made brownies earlier to celebrate (well, really to have as a reward after the shot). Somehow, today has become a minor holiday - and not just because it's MLK, Jr. 's birthday.

I suppose the start of Lupron deserves the same recognition at least as starting a new job. Congratulations are probably in order. This could be the start of a life - and therefore it could be the start of a life-altering event. There's a Hebrew prayer called the Shecheyunu, which my family throws in when we can't find or remember the proper prayer to say at a specific occasion. Off the top of my head, it translates roughly to Blessed art Thou, oh Lord our G-d, King of the Universe, for allowing us to reach this day.

I've always liked it because, to me, it's a reminder that any day can be a special day - worthy of a prayer. I'm not a real religious person, I go to shul on the high holidays and light the Shabbat candles when I remember. Plus, I married an Atheist goy. But I think tonight, as D is preparing the Lupron, a little Shecheyunu might be in order.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me. The shecheyanu is a good reminder to be thankful, at least a little bit.

Confrats of starting and remember to chug the water to avoid lupron headaches.

January 17, 2006 2:00 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Good luck, Mellie. I am thinking of you.

January 17, 2006 6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on starting the Lupron. May your side effects be few.

January 17, 2006 11:00 AM  
Blogger April said...

Thinking of you. Congratulations on starting the lupron...

January 17, 2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger Lut C. said...

The start of something new! Usually congratulations are in order, so congratulations.

Good luck with the shots, and the whole cycle.

January 17, 2006 4:36 PM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Lets get this show on the road!

January 17, 2006 5:37 PM  
Blogger Mony said...

We really are in this together Mellie! I began my Synarel (nasal spray version of Lupron) on Monday.
Yipee!

January 17, 2006 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting started! I hope this is indeed the start of a life. The prayer seems quite fitting.
Good luck with the shots - and I like you're idea of a post-shot reward!

January 17, 2006 8:15 PM  
Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

And so it begins...Best of luck to you!

January 18, 2006 8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something New!! Mellie, you're in my thoughts... I hope this is THE cycle.

January 18, 2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Yay! Happy Lupron Day!!

January 18, 2006 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home