Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Excitement Builds

Something strange happened last night. One of those annoyingly cute, smiley-face icons made me feel unusually happy. I might as well have a blinkie name on the bottom of this post, and sprinkles of baby dust attached to my every blog comment, because when my ovulation test showed the happy face, I became elated. I tried to take a picture of the test. I ran around not wanting to put the damn thing down.

The elation was possibly because I was relieved I wasn’t going to have to shell out another $35 for another ovulation kit; possibly because it indicates that my cycle seems to have reverted to its normal schedule. But surely the elation is because it means I start taking Lupron next Monday (and I’m feeling lucky that I start Lupron on a day off from work (MLK day)).

I don’t know why the optimism is running rampant in my house right now. D & I have begun talking like I’m going to be pregnant in 6 weeks, no question. Last month I was feeling quite positive that IVF wouldn’t work the first time – but I’d learn what the problem is. I was sure they’d find that my eggs’ shells are too hard for the sperm to penetrate or something that can only be diagnosed through IVF. Now I’m thinking, even if they find something they’ll be able to compensate for it. I borrowed the book The Couple’s Guide to In-Vitro Fertilization and I just keep remembering the statistic she quotes that 70% of couples take home a baby within 3 tries.

And last night I dreamt that I was pregnant. It was like, 2 days after transfer, but in the dream I knew it had worked. Of course, in the dream a close friend who is not close to ttc and my mother were also pregnant, so it’s not like I think it was a prophecy or anything. But I remember feeling so happy knowing a child was due.

So, yeah, I’m excited. There’s this song from the Ahrens & Flaherty musical, A Man of No Importance that’s been running through my head all morning. The song is sung by a bunch of community theater members who are presenting their crazy set, costume and prop ideas to the play’s director. Their point is that while these things may not look like much now, give it some time and they’ll be fit for the stage. In other words, as the song goes, “A week and a half from now this will be art.

Indeed. A week and a half from now this will be ART.

13 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

I am excited for you too! Crossing everything that it works for you on the first try.

January 10, 2006 1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased that all systems are go. Fantastic that you're experiencing such a high. Long may it last.

January 10, 2006 2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I love musicals. Didn't they write Ragtime and Once On This Island?

Good luck, Mellie.

And I'm taking it as a good sign that the first three letters of my word verification are "MOM" (and ignoring the fact that the other 4 letters are "RIPA," because that Kelly Ripa bitch is fertile enough already).

January 10, 2006 3:16 PM  
Blogger Mellie said...

Molly - they did write Ragtime & Once On This Island. And I cannot begin to describe how much I dislike Kelly Ripa - mostly having to do with personal experince involving her husband.

January 10, 2006 4:07 PM  
Blogger Lut C. said...

A dose of giddyness at the beginning of a cycle can only do you good, the same for the positive dreams. Hoping this is the one.

January 10, 2006 5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the note of ovulation test, buy a test from a company called Ovulite. It's a test that you can use every day over and over never haveing to buy the disposable kind. They use your saliva to check to see if you are ovulating. Very accurate.

January 11, 2006 4:36 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I remember well my outright exaltation at seeing that little egg in the Fertility Monitor window. What dorks we are! But I love that are in such a good space for the upcoming cycle.

January 11, 2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

Getting a positive result for any type of test that involves peeing on a stick is definitely cause for elation. Way to go! Best of luck to you...

January 13, 2006 10:52 AM  
Blogger Mony said...

Oh Mellie Doll! It's impossible not to share your excitement. Optimism is the new black...and I'm wearing it all over.
Thinking of you xx

January 13, 2006 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Mellie. And I hope your elation lasts and lasts.

January 13, 2006 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you as well - and it's fab that you're so optimistic. And that's a great statistic. Thanks for sharing it.

January 13, 2006 6:50 PM  
Blogger avonlea said...

Wow, now I'm going to be thinking of Monday as Martin Lupron King day! Good luck with your cycle, I hope this one will do the trick.

January 15, 2006 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, Mellie!

Cheering you on.

MichelleL

January 15, 2006 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home