Thursday, January 05, 2006

2006 - The Final Frontier

I know the IF-rollercoaster analogy is nothing new, so forgive me for indulging in it. You see, I’m in line now for a ride on the biggest one in my amusement park yet, and I’m just nearing the head of the line where I can count forward and figure out just what car I’ll be sitting in.

Yesterday D & I attended the clinic’s IVF class, received and discussed my protocol and had all the necessary tests done to get our records up to date. We are now officially doing IVF. (We were supposed to go in for the class before Christmas, but the NYC transit strike messed that up. In the end, it didn’t matter, but at the time it was another stinkin’ reason to hate the transit union.)

While I feel quite over-educated in regard to all that transpires during an IVF cycle, I still found the class (complete with power point presentation and a video clip of ICSI) reassuring and informative. I know D was bored and stressed about missing work, but spending the 2 + hours there made me feel like it’s for real now. I’m excited and hopeful and scared and pessimistic all at the same time.

My protocol: beginning yesterday (cd 8) I’m to monitor for my LH surge. Once the opk gives a positive, the Lupron shots begin 7 days later. Stimming will (knock on wood) consist of 150 iu of Follistim and 2 vials of Repronex. I got the prescriptions for everything, sent them off today and expect to get my box o’ drugs next week. Last night I purchased the strangest combination ever: the $40 clinic preferred Clear Plan Ovulation Kit and a box of condoms. How ironic is it to have to use the 2 at the same time? Meanwhile, this ovulation kit is the digital kind, so there’s no room to misinterpret the results. No judging of color shades – when it detects the LH surge a smiley face appears in the display. I’ve been thinking that perhaps some baby dust will also burst out the tip, accompanied by a musak-y rendition of Let’s Get it On.

Anyway, it’s about here. We’re beginning. I’m not at all worried about the shots, the blood draws, the retrieval or transfer. I’m just petrified at the thought of it not working and the doctors not learning anything new.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your description of the OPK made me giggle. Good luck on the final frontier.

January 05, 2006 4:53 PM  
Blogger moi said...

But did they give you cookies at the IVF class?

My favorite part was how the doctors still think it's really cool that babies can be made with what they see as pretty simple manipulations.

thinking very optimistic thoughts for you! keep us posted!

January 05, 2006 4:54 PM  
Blogger Larisa said...

Oh, I hope that this is the only IVF cycle you have to do. Congratulations on getting the ball rolling, and have fun with the fancy smiley OPK.

January 05, 2006 5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, those be the OPKs that steadfastly refused to give me a positive this cycle. Admittedly that's the first time in 18 months of using them, but still. I still peer at the second blue line as I eject the test, just to give me a bit more info about what's going on.

And oh how I hope that this is it for you on the infertility rollercoaster.

January 05, 2006 5:32 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Good luck, Mellie! I am hoping so hard for you!!!

January 05, 2006 5:50 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Came across your blog. I'm currently on Lupron and start stims next week for cyle #3. Lots of luck to you!

January 05, 2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger P. said...

Yeah for new beginnings... I do have to say that I selfishly hoped we would cycle together. I will be relying on you for experience and wisdom.

January 06, 2006 12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your cycle Mellie. I hope it turns out beautifully for you.

January 06, 2006 6:02 AM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Good luck, Mellie.

January 06, 2006 9:17 AM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Yay Mellie! Welcome to the wonderful world of IVF. We're going to be roughly on the same schedule. Good Luck!!!

January 06, 2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger Jamila said...

glad to hear from you. Good good good luck, Mellie!

January 07, 2006 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home