Monday, October 03, 2005

Second Place

Well, the Red Sox fell to the Yankees on Saturday, allowing the New York Boys to end in first place in the American League East, with my BoSox right behind them in second. The Yanks had been behind all season, but in the end they finished first.

I kind of feel like my Sox at the moment, too. My best friend who was going through her first IVF attempt got the happy, official news yesterday that it worked - she is pregnant! Honestly, I'm ecstatic for her. Her first beta had numbers over 200 so there even may be a possibility of 2. It's the best news I've heard in a long, long time. Yet, there's this part of me that feels like she sprinted to the end of this marathon and just beat me to the finish line. I know I'll get there. And the fact that it worked for her on one try should help me believe that it will work for me too. But her being done (and I really do hope she is!) with the IF game after only being in it for 6 months or so is making me feel even more impatient (if that was possible) for my winning hand to be played.

Plus, I feel selfish for thinking that way.

So, I'm trying to focus only on the good. Just like with the Sox, their second place finish still secured them the Wildcard playoff berth. That's reason to celebrate. Now I'm hoping that next year, my second place finish will secure me a birth and celebration of my own.

19 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

The main thing is to finish. I am pulling for you.

October 03, 2005 1:26 PM  
Blogger Chee Chee said...

Hang in there, hun! Your turn is coming.

October 03, 2005 1:38 PM  
Blogger Scholiast said...

I'm rooting for you!
I probably ought to keep my mouth shut, our first child (eventually) came naturally, and our second (that turned out to be quads..) came after only one round of hormones.
- But I was supposed to be really unsuitable material, and they were wrong!

October 03, 2005 2:25 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Such clever baseball analogies! It's so hard when you want to be 100% happy for someone but there is that percentage of you that just can't. And that's OK.

October 03, 2005 2:52 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

We're all going to make it to the finish line!!

October 03, 2005 5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries Mellie -- it isn't how fast you get there! And your turn is just around the bend...

October 03, 2005 5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another fan rooting for you!

I just found your blog the other day, and I can totally relate.

October 03, 2005 6:19 PM  
Blogger lucky #2 said...

You may cross the finish line limping, dehydrated, and exhausted...but you will make it.

AND I will be on the sidelines cheering for you.

October 03, 2005 7:18 PM  
Blogger zhl said...

Just because you've entered the series as the wildcard and not the division winner doesn't mean you can't win it all. I think there's some team who was a wild card yet went on to win it all. Hmm, can't quite remember the team. Most be in the AL; I wouldn't know a thing about those DH pansies!

Just kidding. Hoping you finish well.

October 03, 2005 7:42 PM  
Blogger Dramalish said...

Chin up, my lovely Mellie.
Just like your Sox, you will find a way to your goal...
No matter what it takes.

Much love for a happy "post-season."
-D.

October 03, 2005 10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's not like there's a limit on IVF karma - your chunk of it is still waiting. Keeping all my fingers crossed for you.

October 04, 2005 11:46 AM  
Blogger Mony said...

And what a celebration it will be! Great news for your friends. It's encouraging to hear of an IVF success after one go.

October 08, 2005 10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck to you! I've just started ART. After 1 year on our own, and 2 cycles of cholmid, we did IUI for the first time. Tomorrow is the dreaded blood test. The waiting sure sucks and I jus started this process, so I can imagine what you must be feeling. Especially since yet another friend announced that she is having a baby in April next year!

October 10, 2005 1:01 PM  
Blogger April said...

Remember, even if you crawl past the line - it still is finishing. You can only go at your own pace, looking down at your own feet, not watching those who go past you.

My thoughts are with you, and my cheers will be there on the sidelines.

October 13, 2005 6:33 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

Just checking in as usual. Hoping that you are doing ok.

October 29, 2005 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

still checking...

November 10, 2005 6:35 AM  
Blogger Chee Chee said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you're doing ok.

November 11, 2005 4:54 PM  
Blogger Dramalish said...

Hi Mellie,

Just stopping in to say I miss ya. I hope you are using this time to recoup and prepare, and come back to us strong.

-D.

November 15, 2005 7:17 PM  
Blogger Mony said...

Mellie!
A word please sweetie!
Missing you!

November 16, 2005 8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home