Thursday, December 15, 2005

Gearing Up

As the year winds down, I’m winding up for my next attempt at conquering infertility – IVF. It still seems a ways off, but considering I’ve spent the last 36 (documented by fertilityfriend.com) cycles waiting, 1 ½ more shouldn’t be a big deal.

Here’s what I’ve been doing to prepare:

1. As of January 1, 2006 I will be covered by two different health insurance plans. Of course, they both happen to be Empire Blue Cross PPO plans – but I’m feeling optimistic that much of the financial costs of the IVF cycle will be reimbursed. Granted, I’m sure I’m setting myself up for a marathon swim through red tape, but I think I’m well prepared for that.

2. Next Tuesday I’m signed up for the IVF class at my clinic. I’m supposing that, (like when I began injectible IUI’s) it is at that meeting where I will get my lovely packet with my protocol listed and all the prescription slips I’ll need. At this point it even appears that D. will be able to join me at the class. I think attending it will make it seem all the more imminent and real. That’s a good thing.

3. I found a licensed acupuncturist in my neighborhood that seems to follow the tenets of Randine Lewis, which makes me hopeful. I’ve been instructed to find out if my clinic will allow her to come to the hospital to perform acupuncture both before and after the transfer, as apparently, that is the recommended TCM protocol for IVF.
So, that leaves me in the usual spot: waiting. Today is cd17 and I finally got a peak reading on my clear plan monitor today. I’ll have sex tonight, hoping that 3 sessions of acupuncture were all I needed to conceive instead of the drugs and needles and ART. But deep inside I know I need more help and that I just have to wait a little longer.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dramalish said...

Glad to see you posting again; we miss ya, Mellie.
The gearing up sounds excellent. I can't wait to cheer you on.
Aw heck, why wait?
GO MELLIE.
-D.

December 15, 2005 4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mellie -- the gearing up time is going to FLY. I was horrified and amazed how quickly IVF protocol time came, and now time is back to a crawl.

I hope you don't need it. I hope you have an accupuncture miracle (it is the season for miracles, right? Why not you?)

I'm with D. GoooOOOOOOO MELLIE

December 15, 2005 5:43 PM  
Blogger Larisa said...

I'm so glad you have your plan in place. I hope it will bring wonderful results very very soon!

December 16, 2005 2:58 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Sounds like your life will be all about needles for the next little while. A small price to pay for hopefully a huge payoff.

December 16, 2005 4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see that you're nearly there with the plan. It all sounds like it's coming together nicely - it must be great to have an accupuncturist who really knows what they're doing.

December 17, 2005 11:55 AM  
Blogger Pamplemousse said...

It seems like a good date to have a new plan from, Mellie.

December 17, 2005 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mellie - Seems like you and I are tracking along the same path...

Me: waiting for IVF in Jan due to new insurance (also BC/BS), TTC 3+ years, 2 hysteroscopy, 1 myomectomy, 4 IUI's, and starting acupuncture now.

There are too many of us out here...

I will be thinking of you and following along.

December 17, 2005 4:34 PM  
Blogger Lut C. said...

Finally you can get the show on the road again. I'm glad for you and hoping it will be an instant hit!

December 18, 2005 5:21 AM  
Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

Hi Mellie...I'm new to your blog, but so glad that I came upon it since we are both cycling at about the same time. Teresa is right, the gearing up time has flown by. Seems like as soon as I signed all the necessary consent forms, there was a cooler full of drugs on my doorstep.

Hope your class went well today, and looking forward to following along with you during your cycle.

December 27, 2005 3:31 PM  
Blogger April said...

The excitement of knowing you have a plan is tangible.

Hoping this time flies by for you.

December 30, 2005 3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home